Being a parent, you know the challenge of washing your baby while trying to keep them from slipping and sliding in the tub. As you know, a baby bath mat makes your baby’s bath time safe, enjoyable, and relaxing for everyone. But, with the multitude of choices in the market, how do you choose the best one for your munchkin?
Well, this article will help you pick the one for your baby by providing you with some information on some of our top picks.
Chapter 1: Factors To Consider When Buying a Baby Bath Mat
Now, think of buying a baby bath mat as purchasing a safety net for your baby. Obviously, there are features you must consider if you want the best experience. Let’s consider a few.
Most baby bath mats are either made of rubber, plastic (PVC), or both. This is because these materials are skin-friendly and safe, which makes them the top choice for most manufacturers. So, when shopping, go for mats made from natural rubber, BPA, and phthalate-free plastic.
2. The surface of the bath area
Generally, tubs vary in size. So, before buying a bath mat for your tot, measure the dimensions of your bathtub floor. This way you can pick out the right size mat for your tub.
Most baby bath mats designs come in cute patterns and colors to attract your little one during bath time. However, this is a matter of preference.
Of all the factors we will look at, this is the certainly the most important one. When picking your baby mat you want to pick one with good suction cups as they help keep the mat in place when your baby is in the tub.
Slips are common during bath time because of the soapy water. So, to prevent accidents, ensure your mat has textured anti-slip surfaces.
Since the mat will be in water most of the time you want to get something that is mildew resistant. Certainly, mildew is unpleasant to look at, tough to clean and can lead to health issues. So, when shopping, choose a bath mat with drain holes or perforations.
Similarly, bath mats tend to collect soap scum, develop mold and mildew patches. Therefore get one that is machine washable. A washing machine keeps your mat clean, prevents it from staining while giving it an almost new look. This way, the bath mat will serve you longer.
Again, bath mats tend to collect soap scum, develop mold and mildew patches. So, choose one that is machine washable. A washing machine keeps your mat clean, prevents it from staining while giving it an almost new look. This way, the bath mat will serve you longer.
11. Number of Children
Sometimes, you may have to bathe more than one kid at a go. For this reason, consider buying a mat that covers a larger surface to accommodate all the children safely.
Chapter 2: What Are The Advantages Of A Baby Bath Mat?
Besides keeping your little angel safe and comfortable, what other advantages do these mats offer?
- It prevents injuries – As you know, babies tend to fuss, play and wiggle a lot during bath time, making it impossible to hold them still. On the slippery soapy tub, a bath mat can help keep your kid from slipping and hurting themselves.
- They make the bathtub comfortable – bathtub surfaces tend to be cold and hard on little buttocks and for this reason you need a bath mat. Undoubtedly, having a bath mat adds comfort, since most mats have a soft cushiony feel ideal for your baby’s bottom.
Makes bath time fun – Most bath mats for babies come in attractive and fun designs, themes, and patterns. Consequently, even the fussiest bather will jump into the tub effortlessly.
Chapter 3: The Best Baby Bath Mat Evaluation
Now that you know what to look for when buying a mat and why you must get one, naturally, the next step is to purchase a mat. So, which are the best baby bath mats for 2021?
The Munchkin Quack Duck Bath Mat comes designed in an adorable duck-shape. The mat has a textured material to prevent your baby from sliding. It measures 16 x 32.5 inches.
- Cute design
- It rolls up easily for storage
- Soft textured surface
- It doesn’t fit the whole tub
Firstly, your little munchkin will fall in love with this cute and colorful baby bath mat. Secondly, it has a playful and fun look at the design that’s sure to keep your baby entertained and safe while enjoying their bath. In addition, the Munchkin Dandy Dots Bath Mat comes in a BPA and is latex-free to protect your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Designed with a candy-colored floor
- Made from real rubber
- Suction cupped underside
- Long enough to fit the whole tub
- The candy-colored dots can come off from wear
Another addition to this list is the Gorilla Grip Original, a highly-rated baby bath mat in the market. With 324 suction cups, this bath mat is surely the epitome of baby safety. Above all, the firm grip on the bath mat keeps it in place while your baby plays and moves in the tub. Generally, the mat is large enough to fit your tab and has a plastic base.
- Available in a variety of colors
- Has drain holes to prevent mold and mildew growth
- Machine washable
- The bath mat only attaches to clean, smooth surfaces.
Bath time is indeed a lot more fun with Ikea Patrull Bathtub Mat. Specifically made of rubber, this green crocodile-themed mat has a grainy surface that keeps your baby from sliding in the bathtub. Additionally, you can use this bath mat on a smooth surface since the suction cups have a firm grip to keep it in place.
- Funky design
- Holes for easy hanging to dry
- Right size for a standard bathtub
- No drain holes
- Not machine-washable
The Infantino 2-in-1 Bath Mat is certainly the ideal multi-functional product. This bath mat doubles up as a toy storage basket and it comes in soft and comfortable rubber material, perfect for little bottoms.
- Super strong suction cups
- The mat has a suction hook for easy hanging
- Supports lightweight toys only
- The suction hook is not too strong
The Moby Bath Mat comes in a dynamic whale shape designed to keep your little ones safe during bathtime. It also has perforations that help water circulate easily. Similarly, you can use the whale tail as a hook to drip all the water and dry the mat.
- Perforations allow for easy drainage
- Textured material to keep your baby safe
- Adorable whale design
- Does not fit the entire bathtub
- Does not attach well to textured and tiled bathtubs
The Beehomee Bath Mat has cute sea creatures that will captivate your little ones making bathtime fun. The textured surface keeps your baby from sliding and the hundreds of suction cups on its underside help it stay put during bathtime.
- Provides excellent coverage to fit the entire tub
- Cute pattern design
- Made from high-quality PVC
- Ideal for smooth surface only
- It has no drainage holes
The Othway Non-slip mat is the perfect bath mat for eco-conscious parents. It comes from natural, environment-friendly PVC, latex, and BPA-free rubber which does not get slippery when wet.
- Fits into a standard bathtub
- Soft rubber texture for maximum comfort
- Available in blue and grey only
- Has no baby-oriented design
The Yimobra Bath Mat has 200 big suction cups to keep it in place during bathtime. This mat comes in an extra-large size to cover the whole tub.
- Machine washable
- Has excellent drainage design
- Made from high-quality material that is BPA and Latex-free
- It will only attach to smooth surfaces
The Hermosa Mat comes in a simple and neat design with extra-strong suction cups to ensure it stays put in the tub. It comes with a 10-year guarantee which is a plus for families looking to grow in number.
- It is machine washable
- Available in clear, blue, and black variations
- BPA free and non-toxic
- Not suitable for tiled or textured surfaces
- Does not come in baby-friendly designs as compared to others
To sum up, we cannot understate the importance of baby bath mats. Equipping your bathtub with a safe, anti-slip bath mat will help keep your little ones from sliding and getting hurt. With the vast array of baby bath mats in the market, with these tips finding one that meets your budget and growing baby’s needs is a lot easier.