When shopping for baby outfits, picking the right size of clothes may not seem like a straightforward task. It’s, in fact, a whole new job, even more so if you’re a new parent. Questions such as; Are size two the same as 2T? How do I choose the most appropriate size for my child? Begin to pop up. Undoubtedly, when it comes to baby clothes, the questions are endless. For this reason, we’ve put together baby clothes sizing guide for your shopping needs. With this, shopping for baby clothes becomes fun and less strenuous.
1. Baby Clothes Sizing Guide–Get Conversant with Various Baby Clothes Sizes
- Is a newborn the same size as 0-3 months?
Under the baby clothes sizing guide, newborns generally cover babies weighing between 2kg to 4kg. On the other hand, 0-3 months fits babies weighing between 4kg and 6kg. As for the length, there’s no specific measurement given that babies grow differently. Nevertheless, 0-3 months clothes are usually 20 to 25 inches in length.
- Are 3-6 months the same as six months?
Undoubtedly, most people consider these sizes the same. While this may be true, 3-6 months is for babies that weigh between 8kg to 10kg. Meanwhile, six months suits babies of 10 kilograms and above. Also, it is more durable and comfier than 3-6 months.
- What is the difference between 24 months and 2T?
Twenty-four months and 2T are certainly interchangeable sizes. However, they differ in style and comfort. That said, 2T clothes have more fitting as well as sophistication. On the other hand, 24 months are loosely fitted. Besides, it fits babies who require additional space in their clothes for diapers. Moreover, they’re usually available in onesies while 2T advances to dresses and shirts for little ones.
2. Baby Clothes Sizing Guide–How Do You Measure the Size of Your Baby’s Clothes?
Generally, our baby cloth size guide uses age as well as weight to measure baby outfits. However, this method doesn’t apply in all cases because babies grow differently. At the same time, sizes vary between brands.
Baby Clothes Sizing Guide–For Infants and Newborns
For newborns who weigh between 0kg to 5kg, use size 0000. During this age, onesies are an absolute must-have. In a nutshell, if your baby’s age is between 3 to 12 months plus, they weigh from 6kg to 10kg, their clothes size should fall between 0000 to 1. Without a doubt, this range of baby clothes certainly fits any newborn.
Baby Clothes Sizing Guide–For Toddlers
Now, moving up the baby clothes sizing guide. To begin with, some toddlers wear a bigger size. Usually, they wear a size 2 to size 2T. So how can you tell if your baby is on its way to toddlerhood? Granted that your little one is potty-trained and walking, then they have advanced to clothes of size 2T upwards.
Moreover, size 2T fits babies of age 18 to 24 months (around 14kg). Likewise, they’re more active and developing a sense of fashion, but remember, every cloth size 2T is for toddlers. Given that, they’re stretchier and rounder for comfort.
Pick by length
Rely on the length measurement instead of age and weight. Rather than picking your child’s clothes using tags, you can also get the size by measuring the length. Without a doubt, many parents have said this method is very accurate.
Examine the brand’s clothing size
As mentioned earlier, the baby clothes sizing guide for each brand varies. Therefore, you must check your preferred manufacturer’s size chart before making a choice.
Know the size ranges
You should also know that anything labeled for ages 0-3 months is a small size. On the other hand, 12 months upwards is more extensive and is for older infants.
Get familiar with the manufacturers.
Finally, some manufacturers like Disney and Gerber specifically make small-sized baby clothes. At the same time, Walmart usually designs bigger sizes. Accordingly, OshKosh, as well as Carter, mainly produces toddler clothes.
（Measuring baby clothes）
3. Baby Clothes Sizing Guide–Find Practical Skills of Proper Baby Clothes Size
When shopping for baby outfits, these practical tips below, in addition to the baby clothes sizing guide, indeed enables you to make better choices.
- To begin with, always put both you and your baby’s comfort in mind. Besides that, don’t buy outfits that you may find challenging to put on your child. So, in this case, onesies are indeed your best pick.
- At any rate, choose quality over quantity; Why? It is because babies hardly get their clothes dirty, and it’s best to buy less so they’ll last for months and beyond. Also, if you’re shopping before having your baby, get gender-neutral outfits. This tip helps you save money.
- For babies in toddlerhood, select durable clothing. Given that they’re more active, their clothes are more likely to wear and tear quickly.
- Furthermore, buy outfits with more accessible fastenings. Playsuits, leggings as well as pants with flexible waistbands are super ideal. Also, it would be best if you avoid clothes with buttons or anything that can harm your little one.
- Also, ensure you buy outfits in cotton materials. It certainly gives your baby comfort and further prevents irritation. Unlike synthetic materials, cotton stretches also fit your child for more extended periods.
- Finally, babies proliferate. For this reason, always purchase bigger sizes so your baby can significantly grow into them. Most importantly, this allows you to save more on baby clothing over time.
（Cotton material baby clothes）
4.Baby Clothes Sizing Guide—Common Baby Clothing Size Diagram
Baby clothes sizing guide: Preemie up to 24 months
|US Size||Weight (in lbs.)||Age||Length (inches)|
|P||0 to 5||Premature||0 to 17|
|NB||5 to 8||Newborn||0 to 20|
|3M||8 to 12||0-3 months||20 to 23|
|6M||12.5 to 16||3-6 months||24 to 25|
|9M||17 to 20.5||6-9 months||26 to 27.5|
|12M||21 to 23||9 to 12 months||28 to 30|
|18M||23.5 to 26||12 to 18 months||31 to 32.5|
|24M||27 to 30||18 to 24 months||33 to 35|
Baby clothes sizing guide: For toddlers
|Size||Weight (lbs)||Height (inches)|
|Premature||0 to 5||0 to 17|
|Newborn||5 to 7.5||17 to 21|
|0-3 months||6 to 12||20 to 23|
|3-6 months||12.5 to 16||23 to 26|
|6-9 months||16 to 19||25.5 to 27|
|12 months||19 to 22||28 to 29.5|
|18 months||22 to 26||30 to 31.5|
|24 months||26 to 30.5||32 to 33.5|
|2T||26 to 31||32 to 33.5|
|3T||31 to 34||34 to 37|
|4T||34 to 38||38 to 41|
|5T||38 to 42||41.5 to 45|
Following our baby clothes sizing guide not only makes shopping fun but also helps you save money. Additionally, it ensures you get the perfect fitting for your little one. Dressing your infant is undoubtedly a beautiful task when done right. Remember, baby outfits vary among brands so be sure to reference their size charts. Armed with this information, you can surely proceed to fill your wardrobe with baby clothes.
Are you hesitant about your baby’s clothes size? Perhaps you also find it difficult to discern between sizes? Feel free to let us know in the comments below.