A baby’s developing tummy is very sensitive. You may have noticed it when you started weaning your little one. You must take good care of their food with proper handling and storage. Well, you need the best baby food storage containers.
You may like to have ready food at hand, especially if you live a busy lifestyle. It, therefore, helps to have the best baby food storage containers. However, you have probably walked into a supermarket and been amazed at the range of boxes available. With so many varieties available, shopping for one can be challenging.
Our article will make the process so much easier for you. We will share with you our recommendations of what we believe are some of the best options. Consequently, you will learn everything about what to consider when shopping for storage containers. Such considerations include the type of material, capacity, and pricing.
1. The Importance of Storing Baby Food Correctly
Your baby’s immune system is still in the development process. It means that she will be more susceptible to illness and food poisoning. Therefore, it is crucial to avoid contamination by handling the preparation very well.
Take care that food preparation surfaces and equipment are clean. Also, observe the highest levels of hygiene, such as washing hands before starting.
So now you have the food ready, what do you do with it? The next step to consider is proper and safe food storage. It helps avoid contamination resulting in the food going bad.
The best baby food storage containers provide convenience and safety. Even if you have to prepare food in batches, they will remain contamination-free with the right storage.
2. Types of Baby Food Storage Containers
You have various options when choosing baby food storage containers.
· Glass Baby Food Container
Glass baby food containers are durable. Depending on the type you buy, you may find leakproof, oven-safe, and shock-resistant. However, they are fragile and can break with improper handling.
Glass may not also be the best for freezing food. They may crack if the temperatures are shallow. Additionally, it depends on quality, making them a pricier alternative.
· Baby Food Freezer Plate
Food freezer plates are ideal for home-made food. You prepare the food as you prefer then freeze it. Be careful, though, when defrosting. We will discuss this a little bit more below.
· Plastic Container
The main advantage of plastic containers is that they are light and quite affordable. They may, however, contain harmful components. Such include BPA, lead, phthalates, and other toxic chemicals.
Plastic is also not the best for microwave use or even freezing. When shopping, be observant and carefully read the labels.
· SnapLock Containers
Snaplock containers are excellent for storing food due to the airtight, waterproof seal. They are dishwasher, freezer, and microwave safe. Furthermore, they save on refrigerator space because you can stack them.
Best of all, they are convenient if you have to travel with your baby. Check that the type you are buying is BPA free.
· Puree Food Bag
Puree food bags are convenient and help keep your storage neat. They will not break, making them ideal for baby food storage. Moreover, you can use them on the go, even without a spoon.
· Large capacity baby food storage
If you like to prepare large batches of baby food at once, you will need large-capacity baby food storage containers.
（Baby eating in healthy food sitting in a chair)
3. Precautions When Choosing Baby Food Storage Containers
Material – read the labels to know the fabric of the baby food storage container. Avoid those with BPA, Phthalates, PVC, and toxins. Also, check that they do not contain any allergens and are 100% food grade.
Capacity – determine what works well for you. Do you like to prepare food in advance? If yes, you will need larger capacity storage containers. Consequently, if all you do is store a few leftovers, you can go for smaller containers.
Maintenance – plastic containers may stain, while the glass is easy to clean. When shopping, look for those that are dishwasher safe. It helps with the task of cleaning up.
Portability– food pouches, plastic, and snaplock containers provide the best portability. Glass breaks easily, so they are not the best for use on the go.
Food warming and freezing- Avoid plastic if you like to warm baby’s food in the microwave. It may result in the leaching of harmful chemicals. Read labels to determine which ones are microwave or oven safe. The same goes for freezing or defrosting food.
Space-saving – when shopping, think about the space you have. Stacking helps with proper space utilization.
Scale mark – allows you to see how much food you still have left. That way, you can top up if levels are low.
Price – plastic is the least expensive. However, think of durability and food safety instead of the cost when shopping.
4. Ways to Store Baby Food Safely
Freezing works well for vegetables, fruits, and purees. Fortunately, you can keep the food for up to 3 months. Freezer plates or bags are ideal for such. When freezing, do it in small batches so that you can only use the amount you need at any given time.
Use an airtight container to refrigerate baby food. You should, however, discard any that you have not used within three days.
（Baby food refrigerated in the refrigerator)
5. How to Defrost Baby Food Correctly
- Slow defrost. – Start by removing the food from the freezer and place it in the fridge overnight. Alternatively, aim for at least 10 -12 hours minimum.
- Fast defrost – Place the food in a container with a lid. Immerse it in hot water for about 10 to 20 minutes. The other option is to place it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Go for twenty-second intervals so that you continually stir the food. That way, you ensure even heating and proper thawing.
Please note; do not defrost the food using room temperature. Bacteria may attack the food, and your baby could end up very sick.
6. 8 Recommended Best Baby Food Storage Containers
Weesprout Glass Baby Food Storage Containers – Best Glass Baby Food Storage
- 12 jars
- capacity – 4 oz.
- Scale mark
- Airtight lids· Microwave and dishwasher safe
- BPA, lead, and phthalate-free
- You get durability due to the tempered glass material
- Leakproof allowing food to stay fresh longer
- Microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe
· The size is a bit small, so you cannot prepare a lot of food in advance
· Sudden temperature changes in the freezer can cause them to crack
2. Kiddo Feedo Storage Container and Freezer Tray – Best Baby Freezer Trays
- Food tray plus lid
- Capacity per cube – 9 x 2.5 oz.
- Dishwasher microwave and freezer friendly
- Removable food pods
- Volume marking
- Silicone lid
Material – food-grade silicone
- Stain and odor resistant
- It won’t scratch or scratch
- You can remove food from 1 pod at a time, making it ideal for portioning
- Free of BPA, PVC, BPS, lead, and other harmful chemicals
- Provides multiple functionalities if you needed to prepare other family meals
- You get a 47-page recipe book
- The lid may not fit very well
- · Despite the manufacturer claims, some may have an unpleasant odor
3. Younger 18 Pack Baby Food Storage – Best Budget Baby Food Storage
- 18 oz. plastic containers
- Potted calla lilies
- Microwave, dishwasher, and freezer safe
Material – plastic
- Good value for money
- Fantastic for preparing food in advance
- Color-coding option if that is your preference
- Lead and BPA-free
- Graduated measurement and 36 labels
- You cannot fill them up to the brim because they may expand
- They may not be very durable.
4. Baby Brezza Storage Pouches – The Best Food Storage Bags
- 10 food storage pouches
- Plastic screw-on caps
- Ziploc side opening
- Capacity – 7 oz.
- freezer and dishwasher safe
Material – plastic
- The bags are reusable
- Excellent for use on the go. Baby can simply suck food from the spout
- Leakproof and easy to clean
- Food-grade, BPA, phthalate, and lead-free
- They are easy to refill through the Ziploc side opening
- One year warranty
· Can cause developmental delays with oral skills, so apply moderation in their use
· Cleaning them in a dishwasher can be a bit difficult. You are better off washing the containers by hand
5. Superior Glass Baby Food Containers – The Best Snaplock Container
- six containers
- Capacity – 5 oz.
- Airtight locking lids
- Microwave and dishwasher safe
Material – Borosilicate glass
· Durable material does not warp to absorb odor or discoloration
· Allows for multiple functionalities such as serving, reheating, or storing food. Additionally, you can use them for dipping, prices of pulses
- Airtight and leakproof
- Allows for easy stacking resulting in space-saving
- The package comes with a 5-year warranty
· Initially, the lid will not fit in very well; continuous usage will break it in
· You have to make sure that you clean the gasket, which can be an inconvenience
6. Bumkins Reusable Snack Bag – Best Portable Baby Storage
- three bags
- Capacity – 2 7″ x 3.5 inches and one sandwich bag measuring 7 x 7 inches
- Water and stain proof
- BPA, PVC, vinyl and lead-free,
Material – Polyester and Polyurethane
- Reusable and resealable
- It takes up very little space, making them ideal for a day out
- dishwasher and washing machine safe (top rack)
· You can only use them for dry foods. Since, with the zip enclosure, wet foods may leak
7. Sage Spoonful’s Combo Pack – The Best Combo Products
- four jars
- two bowls
- Capacity – 4 oz. Jars and 7 oz. bowls
- Airtight lids
- Microwave, oven, and freezer safe
- Scale markers for easy measuring
Material – Borosilicate glass
- You get a combo pack for multiple functionalities
- Durable fabric that is shock and thermal resistant
- You do not need to defrost your food first
- BPA, lead, phthalate, and PVC free
· The lid gaskets may tear
· Improper handling can lead to chipping or breaking
8. Bento Box Collapsible Silicon Container – Best Large Baby Food Storage
- Collapsible silicone food container
- Capacity – up to 40.5 oz.
- Airtight plastic lid
- BPA free
- It comes with reusable utensils
- No odor transfer and will not discolor
Material – silicon
- ideal for bulk food storage
- Large capacity allowing you to customize the potions as you wish
- The leads are airtight and leakproof, so you avoid spillage
- Durable material that can withstand high temperatures
- Multiple functionalities, including packing lunches
- stacking makes them excellent space savers· Microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe
· It may collapse when in use, especially when trying to put on the lid
Proper food storage is critical when it comes to handling baby food. You want to ensure health and safety at all times. Because your baby’s immune system is still in the development stage, you must be careful about what they eat.
Baby food containers provide a convenient way to store food. You can refrigerate or freeze depending on what you like. The advantage is you have ready food on standby. It is an ideal option for busy parents who may not be able to cook every day. Please check the section on how to thaw food above. Remember, do not use room temperature thawing because you may get bacteria contamination.
We hope that our article above has given you a comprehensive guide on proper food storage. We have looked at what we consider some of the best options depending on usage and material.
It is important to read customer reviews even with an excellent guide such as ours. You get to know what other people are saying about the products. You want to get good value for money while keeping your baby’s food safe. If you try any of the brands we have highlighted, it will be great to get your feedback.