When you think about moving your child to a big kid toddler bed, it can be exciting but also worrisome. Choose a good one The best bed bumper.Therefore, you and your child may be excited about the transition, but you may also worry about your child falling out of bed and getting hurt. Hence, adding safety measures to the new bed is essential until your little one is older and used to sleeping in the new bed.
Therefore, we have compiled the best bed bumpers below for you to find the best one for your child’s new big kid bed.
1. Do You Need to use Bed Bumpers?
The hazards of the baby falling from bed
Kids can be highly mobile when sleeping. Therefore, they tend to toss and turn, which could pose an issue when moving them to a new big kid bed. Above all, you do not want your child to be injured or afraid to sleep in their bed because they are afraid of falling or had an experience falling. The child could sustain a body or brain injury, so bed rails must be in place to keep them safe.
The benefits of using bed bumpers
Bed bumpers will give a barrier on each side of the bed to make sure your child does not roll off the bed while they are sleeping. Besides, the added security will help both you and your child sleep better.
When did the baby start using bed bumpers?
Bed bumpers are appropriate for toddlers at least 18 months old through children as old as five years. Therefore, check the individual specifications on the bed bumpers or bed rails you are looking at to decide your child’s right fit.
2.Type of Bed Bumpers
Fixed bed railing
Fixed bed rails are best for older and more independent kids. For instance, if you trust your child to leave the bed on their own, you can consider this type of bed bumper. There will be room on each side to allow the child to get in and out of bed.
Fold-down bed rails are great for if your child needs extra attention at night or if you want something that can be tucked out of the way when not in use. Besides, they are easy to use and either slide or swing down.
Adjustable bed rails
If you want bed rails that are a bit more versatile, consider adjustable bed rails. For instance, you can shorten or lengthen the bed rails to ensure they fit your mattress. Some of them also can adjust in height. Besides, they are also lighter.
Inflatable, soft-packed bed bumper
Inflatable or foam bed bumpers are large bolster pillows that fit along with the mattress. After that, this bumper makes a soft barrier that is easy to install and works under the sheet.
3. Things to Consider When Buying Bed Bumpers
- Safety; Above all, you need to make sure that your child is safe. There are different features that bed bumpers have to ensure this. Look for bumpers with a safe child lock design. Besides, they should also install tightly against the bed to ensure the child cannot get in between the bumper and the bed and get stuck. Also, the bed bumpers need to be stable, so they do not give when the child presses into them.
- Material; You also need to make sure that the material that makes up the bed bumpers is ideal. Besides, it should be moisture-proof, mildew-proof, breathable, comfortable, and contain safe fabrics.
- Height adjustment; Some bed bumpers allow you to adjust the height. For instance, this feature can be a great help as your child grows.
- Unilateral lifting and vertical lifting; How the bed bumpers are attached and moved out of the way is essential.
- Easy installation; The bed bumpers should also be easy to install. Therefore, you will want to ensure that the bed bumpers are correct, so the more manageable the instructions are to follow, the better.
- Easy to clean; Children can have accidents, so the easier to clean the bumpers are, the better they will be.
- Size; When you pick a bed bumper, you need to make sure it is the bed’s right size.
4. Best bed bumpers recommendation
Hiccapop Foam Toddler Bed Bumper
Materials: Urethane foam with no flame retardants
Dimensions: 52 L x 7 W x 4.5 H inches
- It is hypoallergenic and contains safe materials.
- Also, it is affordable.
- It is easy to install.
- It makes a cozy sleeping space and is soft.
- Easy to put on and take off as needed.
- Lifetime guarantee.
- The cover is machine-washable.
- It keeps your child contained.
- It may not be ideal for co-sleeping because it takes up space on the bed and is a bit bulky.
- However, older and more determined kids could roll over it if they try.
- Besides, some have issues with the bumper sliding around or falling off during the night.
Regalo Hideaway Extra Long Bed Rail
Dimensions: 54 L x 2 W x 20 H inches
- This extra-long fold-down bed rail allows for it to be tucked away between the mattress and out of sight.
- It is excellent for co-sleeping because it can attach to more extensive beds.
- The anchoring strap makes this bed rail sturdy and secure.
- Besides, there is no assembly required.
- Sides fold out of the way quickly.
- Height might be too much and may hit the floor.
- There is no cushioning on the bars.
- However, it is difficult to disassemble quickly.
- You must use it with a bed and box spring.
The Shrunks Inflatable Bed Rail
Materials: Odorless and BPA-free PVC and silicone
Dimensions: 48 L x 7 W x 4 H inches
- This bed bumper is inflatable, which makes it easy to take down and transport for sleepovers.
- You can put it up in less than 30 seconds, and it fits under the sheets to keep it in place.
- It is easy to clean and set up.
- Besides, it fits all beds.
- It comes with a repair kit in case of leaks.
- Also, it is hygienic and made of odorless PVC.
- It could be moved overnight by a child that moves around a lot.
- However, it takes up a lot of the bed.
- It might be difficult to fit under very snug sheets.
Summer Double Safety Rail
Dimensions: 42.5 L x 1 W x 21 H inches
- These bed rails are a good option when you are just going to be using them temporarily.
- Therefore, they are affordable and come with two per package, but only one will fold down.
- They will adjust to fit beds from twin to queen—also, most people like the sturdy construction and versatility of these bed rails.
- Besides, they require little assembly.
- Only able to use with beds with box springs
- However, both rails have to be used for it to work correctly
- The fold-down mechanism can be tricky
Hiccapop Convertible Bed Rail
Materials: Metal, Nylon, and Plastic
Dimensions: 17.52 x 5.91 x 3.27 inches
- If you are converting your crib to a toddler bed, this bed rail is ideal.
- Besides, it attaches securely to the crib, while other rails may have issues with this.
- No assembly.
- It is portable and tall.
- The rail folds down completely.
- Also, it fits almost all brands of the crib.
- Above all, it is so secure because it connects to the metal frame with steel clamps.
- However, it will not fit IKEA cribs.
- Mesh can wear quickly.
- It could be too lightweight and not hold up to wear and tear.
Munchkin Bed Rail
Materials: Polyester and metal
Dimensions:1 x 36 x 18 inches
- This bed bumper has a durable aluminum frame to add to stability.
- Besides, it fits all adult-sized mattresses and is easy to clean.
- Above all, it is affordable and works well for keeping kids secure at night.
- There are push-button folding hinges to tuck away the bed bumper.
- Easy-wipe is covering for cleaning.
- Besides, it comes in both grey and blue colors.
- Problems with assembly.
- Rough material.
- However, there is no way to remove the cover to wash it.
- Not as secure because it only uses the weight of the mattress.
Milliard Portable Travel Mat with Bumpers
Materials: Velour and canvas
Dimensions: 55.12 x 25.98 x 7.09 inches
- Cute and cozy for your child.
- Suppose you need a safe bed when away from home, this portable travel mat from Milliard is the best choice.
- Besides, it makes a cozy little nest for your child, and all you need to add are a pillow and bedding.
- It is for travel only and not suitable to use on top of a regular bed.
- The foam may warp over time.
- However, it is not suitable for older children.
ComfyBumpy Bed Rails
Materials: Plastic and metal
Dimensions: 28.8 x 3.94 x 6.1 inches
- This extra-long bed rail guard may be ideal if you want the extra security of it covering the entire length of a full-sized bed.
- It has flat iron bars that you will not be able to feel through the mattress.
- Also, it is free of chemicals and has super fine mesh to make it airy and light.
- Besides, it will fit up to a king-size bed.
- It will keep the child secure.
- The company offers a money-back guarantee.
- It can be large and bulky.
- However, some had issues with the safety latch.
UBBCARE Foam Bed Rails
Materials: Polyester and foam
Dimensions: 51.97 x 7.09 x 4.53
- It is the tallest foam bumper you can buy and will keep even active sleepers from escaping.
- Also, it can be used in any size bed and covered with a fitted sheet.
- Machine-washable cover.
- Above all, it will keep the child snug and secure at night.
- Issues with shape.
- However, there may be a possible chemical smell.
In conclusion, there are many bed bumpers out on the market, and it comes down to what is right for you and your child. The ones above are great choices to keep your little one safe in their new big kid bed. Above all, make sure that your child is safe in whichever one you choose.